Conquer the Garage
Posted on June 2, 2015
1. Set Specific Goals. Cleaning out your garage may seem impossible but if you set goals for the things you want to get done (like holding a car), it will be much easier to stay focused.
2. Declutter. Start off your cleaning by removing all of the junk and trash and putting them in the trash can. Out of sight, out of mind. Now, make three bins: a “Throw Away” bin, a “Donate” bin, and a “Keep” bin. This will help you sort and let you know what needs to go and what needs stay. It will be less overwhelming if you have a structured setup.
3. Containers. A place for everything and everything in it’s place. Store items in containers. Storing in clear, plastic bins will help keep things organized and know what’s in each container. Don’t forget to label them!
4. Use the Walls and Ceilings. For the things that are too big or bulky to fit in bins, try hanging them up. When you utilize the walls and ceilings, it will open up your garage and give you more room. Peg boards and hooks are great for tools, rakes and more. Hang bicycles from the ceiling to open up the floor. The walls and ceilings are just another tool to help you create floor space.
5. Have a System. Now that you are clutter free (right?), the most important thing is to keep your garage clean and functional. Have set places where things go and make a plan to clean it every so often. Always put things where they go and if you see that something is out of place, find it. Don’t put it off and let things pile up. This will help you keep a clean garage.
6. Donate it. After you’re done with the emptying of the “Throw Away” bins and putting back all of the stuff from the “Keep it” bins, bring your “Donate it” bin to one of our donation locations or stores. If you’re overwhelmed by the stuff you don’t want to keep, let us come to you. We offer FREE home pick up. Simply request a pick up online or call us at 1-800-964-4567 and we’ll schedule a time that’s perfect for you.
Everyone deserves a clean garage. Why not enjoy yours now?
by signing up for our e-newsletter!